CATCH BASIN FAILURE
Why Do Catch Basins Fail In Apartment Parking Lots?
Catch basins (Sometimes referred to as Storm Drains / Storm Sewers) begin to deteriorate for a variety of reasons. Sometimes they are installed incorrectly when the asphalt parking lot is first built. Most often water and freeze thaw are the culprits.
- Water begins to infiltrate from either outside the concrete casting or percolates between the asphalt and steel frame.
- As the water seeps in between the blocks and set bricks used to adjust the grade, it freezes.
- When the water freezes it blows out the mortar which then allows the frame and grate to sink under the stress load from traffic which results in a shifting grate that moves vertically or a complete failure where a sink hole forms.
How Are Catch Basins Repaired In Apartment Parking Lots:
- First an inspection must be performed by a professional paving contractor. The inspection will reveal how severe the damage is. Typically the grate is lifted to allow access to the interior of the concrete casting to inspect and take pictures / video
- Upon deciding to move forward with the work, the exterior perimeter of the catch basin is saw cut 12” – 24” away from the frame and the asphalt is removed to a specified depth.
- Sometimes the entire frame and grate need to be completely removed and other times the bricks can be repaired in place.
- If the casting has collapsed, the frame and grate are removed along with 1-4 rows of blocks. New blocks are installed along with set bricks for elevation all installed on a fresh pour of mortar to seal the water out. The frame and grate are then placed back over the casting.
- Sometimes the entire interior is parged or pointed with mortar to seal any cracks or joints in the block / casting to prevent further water infiltration.
- The 12” – 24” perimeter is then patched with either asphalt or concrete for a finished product. When using concrete it is important to apply a tack coat at the saw cut joint to prevent water infiltration. For asphalt the saw cut is sealed with a hot rubberized crack sealer to prevent water infiltration.
What Is The Cost To Repair A Catch Basin In An Apartment Parking Lot?
FREE CATCH BASIN INSPECTION
We offer FREE catch basin inspections in the following markets:
What does a free catch basin inspection involve?
- One of our Parking Lot Consultants will arrange a time / date to meet on site with your Property Manager to walk your property
- An inspection will be completed of all your catch basins and any other concerns you may have
- Our Parking Lot Consultant will draft an inspection report which will identify the location and severity of any catch basin(s) that require repair along with a cost proposal with pictures and location identification.
- This report will be prepared and emailed to you onsite - the same day you meet to provide immidiate feedback
- Our Parking Lot Consultant can then review the proposal and cost options to allow you to better present it to your District Manager, Corporate Office, Owner(s)
We are members of the following Apartment Associations: